Sunday, January 16, 2011

My Go-To Muffins

A while back, I began making Pumpkin Apple Bread. It then transitioned to muffins once our little muffins were old enough to feed themselves. To them it was like eating a cupcake and I was more than happy to continue in this fantasy. I found the recipe on Goody Blog from Parents.com.




Here's the original recipe and link.

Pumpkin Apple Bread

3 cups flour (make it healthier by substituting whole wheat flour for half)
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp baking soda
3 cups sugar
1 can (15 oz) pumpkin
4 eggs
1 cup vegetable or olive oil
½ cup water
2 apples peeled and diced (I put them in food processor)
1 cup yellow raisins (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda
and salt in one bowl. Combine pumpkin, eggs, oil, sugar, and water in
another bowl and mix until smooth. Combine contents of two bowls. Stir
in apples and raisins. Pour into two greased/floured bread loaf pans
(9-10”). Bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes.


Ok, because I'm a mom and I can't just leave a recipe alone....this is what I do differently:

1. I use one cup of applesauce instead of the chopped and pureed apples. It's smoother and easier to just pull a lid off of some natural (no sugar added) sauce. (Oh and I add a pinch of salt, it doesn't say how much but I use just a pinch....it needs it.)

2. I use normal raisins. Not the yellow ones. I never need yellow raisins and always have a good supply on hand for the others.

3. I rarely make the full two loaves. It's just too much honestly for one family. I do occasionally make the full batch and share with my neighbors.

4. I almost always make muffins. Easier to eat, pop in the freezer and easier to share with friends!


5. Oh and if you do muffins, it takes about 20 minutes or a tad more. Another bonus, you don't have to wait 75 minutes!


Enjoy!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment