Saturday, January 8, 2011

I can read!

I cannot even begin to tell you how long it has been since I sat down and read a book. A book that wasn't about ME, or emotions or de-stressing. Sure, I've read lots of devotional books, but really, they were about me. Not learning more about God, but more about myself. And honestly, that feels a bit selfish. I, of course, don't feel like every book should be strictly about apologetics or about bettering myself. It's just that this last year was a bit heavy for me and now it's time for fun. Our family theme last year was Peace and Patience and this year it's Joy and Love. Time for some joy filled reading.




I ended and began last year and this with the same book, Notes From a Small Island by Bill Bryson. Initially, I thought I'd never get through it. The first few chapters were anecdotal and interesting and then it just became droll. Which is funny, because you can tell that's how he felt about his project at this point, too. The premise is Bill (an American ex-pat) is moving back to the States for a period of time. Before the move, he wanted to travel around the whole of the United Kingdom by public transport.

Without a map, this book sunk lower and lower into the minutia of details and I was about ready to give up. I was clueless to where he was (knowing nothing about British geography) and I didn't even care. The turning point was when he took a break from his own travels and went home for a bit. Honestly, it was the break we ALL needed. I decided to press on, because at this point, it was more about me finishing the book than being super interested in Bill and his funny musings. It was more about MY journey and less about his. I was rewarded at the end, because the book finally picked up and ended well. It would be a difficult read without a laptop or iphone. He mentions a place, makes it sound very similar to the place before (even HE says all British towns are the same) and you totally lose where you are. Maybe this was the point, but it just gave me a headache.

All in all, I really did enjoy this read. Like I said before, it became more of an effort for me to actually FINISH a book rather than give up. And really, I felt that's how he felt at times about his rainy and often exhausting trip around England. So, that's how I'll rate the book, Rainy and Often Exhausting.

No comments:

Post a Comment