Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Saint Nicholas Day


In the spirit of Saint Nicholas, yesterday I concocted a secret plan. To create a gift for an European friend who now lives stateside. She has also not been feeling well and I wanted a way to cheer her up. While our kiddos took their naps, I made Nigella Lawson's Cranberry Oatmeal Cookies.




They were super easy to make using my mixer (for nearly the first 4 years of our married life, this most beloved appliance sat unused; for the last 3 years, it has been my best friend).




The cookies were pretty even uncooked (I will not divulge IF they tasted good uncooked, but I think you know).



I then covered an old formula can with Christmas paper and voila, I had a festive cookie tin to hold both the cookies and this scarf that I made for her.



(don't you wish YOU had 1970's (irreplaceable) parquet???

Once the children were up, I had them each color a Saint Nicholas boot for the sides of the tin.




Now full disclosure, I did take credit for the gift, unlike the real Saint Nicholas. Because I think it's creepy to deliver food without telling who you are. I know I wouldn't eat it unclaimed.

Santa has really taken a hold of our little one's minds this year. And while a little Santa is ok, we're attempting to incorporate a little Saint Nicholas into our Christmas as well. And I think this project is a good start!

No comments:

Post a Comment